Saturday, August 21, 2010

Television Shows I've Never Watched

I recently overheard two neo-yuppie types on the Manhattan-bound 4 train waxing poetic over the latest Sex and The City Movies. Even if I had wanted to follow the conversation (and trust me, I didn't), I couldn't have anyway because I've never seen either movie. I skipped both the films because--dun, dun, DUN!--I've never watched a single episode of the series which inspired it .

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I'm one of only, like, twelve women in the universe who's never seen SJP practice her craft on the small screen. (I'm one of millions who haven't seen on the big screen, either, but I digress.) I was living with my parents when the show debuted in 1998 and they didn't have cable. By the time I got cable access, I'd heard all the feminist commentary that slammed the show's raunchy subject matter, heterosexism, consumerism/elitism, and unrealistic lack of racial diversity in the cast. It turned me off from a show that I most likely wouldn't have become religious about anyway.

After I got off the train, I began to think about all the other "it" shows I never checked out. Maybe I'm past the point in my life where I don't feel the need to keep up with conversations revolving around tv shows; maybe I've just been too busy. Or, perhaps, I just got too attached to Heroes, Law And Order, 30 Rock, and My Name Is Earl to venture away from NBC.

All of the shows on this list below (1) aired or debuted sometime during the last ten years and (2) never could boast of my viewership.













  1. 24
  2. Lost
  3. Survivor
  4. Desperate Housewives
  5. Curb Your Enthusiasm
  6. Mad Men
  7. Entourage
  8. The Apprentice
  9. The Bachelor/The Bachelorette
  10. Grey's Anatomy   (Ok, Ok, I've watched a few episodes once it went into syndication)
  11. Ugly Betty
  12. How I Met Your Mother
  13. Chuck
  14. Anything in the CSI   franchise
  15. Nip/Tuck
  16. True Blood
  17. Dexter
  18. Weeds
  19. Arrested Development
  20. The Sopranos (My mom tricked me into watching the episode where Summer or Hunter or whatever-the-hell-her-name-is trashed her grandma's house. However, I lost all respect for Tony Soprano--a mafioso who can't discipline a teenager?-- and decided never to watch again)


 

 

 




Is there anyone else out there who hasn't seen a single episode of an "it" show? Please tell me in the comments section.

No comments: